Everything I need to know about life, I have learned from the people of Pawnee, Indiana. This is life advice according to Parks and Rec.
- Find ways to express your profound love to your friends and family like Leslie Knope.
- Don’t wait for a better time to be bold like Tom Haverford.
- Know you ideals and live by them like Ron Swanson. But don’t waste time recruiting people to your way of life unless they ask.
- Step wholeheartedly into new stages of your life. Don’t be afraid that growth might change you into a person that your younger self wouldn’t recognize like Ron Swanson, King Sparkle of Cupcake Forrest.
- Make intelligent long-term financial decisions in order to achieve your goals like Donna Meagle.
- Let your bizarre sense of humor shine like April Ludgate. The people who matter will pick up the jokes and the people who don’t get it… screw ’em.
- Believe you’re already a rock star like Andy Dwyer.
- Plug away at the monotony of life with a smile like Jerry Gergich.
- Jump into fixing your problems like Chris Traeger with the help of Dr. Richard Nygard.
- Don’t be afraid to waste weeks of your life on a claymation project because you never know what will turn into a Cones of Dunshire like Ben Wyatt.
- Even the most cunning, pliable, chestnut-haired sunfish, needs to spend time learning to love herself like Ann Perkins.
- Treat Yo Self like Donna, Tom, and especially Ben.
- Do exactly what you do, and do it better than anyone like Li’l Sebastian.
- If time runs out on your ‘will they or won’t they,’ don’t be afraid to walk away like Mark Brendanawicz.
- Decide for yourself what truly matters and make that a priority like Garry Gergich.
- Be proud of who you are like Sewage Joe, even if you got mumps on your lumps.
- Admit when you are looking for tawdry scandal in other’s happiness like Joan Callamezzo.
- Keep working on yourself even when you can’t even land the shoeshine guy like Shauna Malwae-Tweep.
- Care too much like Craig Middlebrooks.
- Don’t Let convention dictate how you build your life, like Ann Perkins.
- People might listen to you even if you don’t know what you’re saying like Perd Hapley.
- No matter how smart you are, like Howard Tuttleman a.k.a. ‘The Douche,’ life is too short to not make fart jokes.
- Find who you love and support them being their truest self like everyone on the show.
- If you find yourself trying to tell everyone what to do with their lives, you might be missing something completely obvious about your own like Marcia Langman.
- Mess with white people who don’t understand and respect your culture like Ken Hotate.
- Keep getting more awesome with age like Ethel Beavers.
- Some dogs do more with three legs than most can do with four, like Champion.
- Even if they call you ‘The Iron (extended bleep) of Pawnee,’ like Marlene Griggs-Knope, some people will say it with affection.
- Be warned, sexuality can be used for evil, like Tammy 2.
- Be warned, nurturing behaviors can be used for evil like Tammy 1.
- Undying loyalty makes up for almost all mistakes in a friendship like Jean-Ralphio Saperstein.
- Learn how to identify and avoid truly destructive people like Mona Lisa Saperstein.
- Don’t spoil your kids like Dr. Saperstein.
- You are going to get Jammed in your life. Terrible people win just as often as good ones, so make sure you do what it take to win when it counts most.
- Don’t be a sheep just because you are supposed to be one, like Orin.
- Make your opinions heard, no matter how dumb you are. Your opinion counts, like the citizens of the public forums.
- Enjoy when your friends tease you like Larry Gergich.
I love this. I spend many hours rewatching this show and have blogged about it too. Although it’s silly and light-hearted, the characters are so well-written and lovable, it is hard not to be inspired.